As part of upcoming posts related to digital marketing, this one introduces the concept of digital marketing. Further ones will go in depth in best strategies and what leading companies are planning to do in the near future to keep their brands and reputation ahead of the market.
Due to the important growth of internet users, new technologies and devices in recent years the internet has evolved from a communication tool to be one of the most important mass media. Internet has a wide range of possibilities, not just to create new and innovative business models but to reform and integrate traditional models to the online environment.
Nowadays consumers have immediate access to any product that suits their needs. Just a few clicks and they have access to every company that offers the product they are looking for. For this reason having online presence it’s no longer an option but an irreplaceable need.
Furthermore, being present online is not limited to making the customer perceive that our offer is the best option, it is necessary to ensure that the customer has an overall high quality experience. Currently reviews and ratings from consumers who have already used a product or service are key influencers to be chosen by the next potential consumers.
Moreover, companies have much more information too, they use specialized tools to make a real-time tracking of user’s activity on webs, allowing them identify similar behaviors, create segments and personalize communications. This access to consumer preferences is also useful to evaluate improvements to the current offer or new product development.
As well as traditional marketing, digital marketing has the goal to create a solid and long lasting relationship between products and consumers. The strategy to make this happen results in objectives aimed by digital campaigns; to carry them out there are multiple tools that can be used in different combinations according to the purpose established. Some of the most important tools to be mentioned are:
- SEO "Search Engine Optimization": It consists in a series of techniques applied to a website to optimize it and make it appear higher in the non-paid search results.
- SEM “Search Engine Marketing”: It is a paid advertisement tool that displays ads (usually text) within the search engine results. Allows matching ads with a wide search range. EMAIL MARKETING: They are marketing communications sent via email to data bases (owned or paid) with the purpose of showing customized messages to public related to the product or service.
- MOBILE ADVERTISING: It consists in specific digital platforms, such as Mobile Apps and Mobile Webs that have been designed for optimized use through mobile devices.
- DISPLAY MARKETING: It involves paid advertising formats commonly used in high traffic webs or in those whose content is interesting to customers. Among the most common formats can mention: banners, pop ups, rich media, etc.
- CONTENT MARKETING: It is the generation of useful and relevant content to consumers through the web, using blogs or social networks. Allows to link customer needs with product, brand or company attributes.
- SOCIAL MEDIA: This includes all types of actions through social networks either generating content in own pages or paid advertising. All related to the goals previously defined by the company or campaign.